Post-Install Configuration Changes

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:23 PM

What would be the best way to change the Blob Store Location and/or the Pool Capacity AFTER the provider has been installed and has already externalized content?

I see the configuration for this in the rbs_internal_blob_stores table but I didn't know if it was acceptable to modify the data table directly.

Editor
Dec 23, 2009 at 10:51 PM
Edited Mar 25, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Hi rhouberg,

In general changes to the blob store configuration should be made using the rbs_sp_modify_blob_store admin stored procedure. This can be a bit tricky because you need to include the entire configuration XML (you can see this using the mssqlrbs.rbs_blob_stores view) with the related changes.

As far as changing the location you also need to be careful to not break existing content. I would probably suggest creating a new blob store instance pointing to the new location and storing all future blobs there. It’s not possible to do a move of existing blobs without performing a deep copy at the moment (ie. stream the old blob out from the old blob store instance, then stream them back in to the new blob store). Some more information on the providers you’re using and the application model would be helpful if you’re after more specific help.

We understand the admin experience here isn’t optimal and we’ll be looking at improving this in the future.

Thanks,

Michael

Dec 23, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Interesting.  I can see how a new blob store would work for large implementations that don't want to pull the binaries back to the database.  As for me, it was more of a general question to help me understand the plumbing a bit more.  rbs_sp_modify_blob_store is the key I was looking for!

I've managed to make the IDisposable changes to the source code and enable the CodePlex RBS Provider in SharePoint 2010.  It was an interesting challenge with limited information, but it's working and my content is being stored on a remote file share which was my goal.

I understand the admin isn't quite there yet.  I don't mind that as long as I can get enough detail about the "right" way to do things.  The real "Nuts and Bolts" details just don't seem to exist.  So it is my mission to dig through the plumbing and blog about it to the SharePoint Community.  I don't want to steal the thunder of the 3rd party vendors, but I do want to help the ITPros out there understand the relationships of all the moving pieces so that they know what can be done, and more importantly, what "shouldn't" be done.

Thanks for your quick response Michael!

Russ Houberg (SharePoint MCM)

Editor
Dec 23, 2009 at 11:29 PM
Edited Mar 25, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Sure thing Russ. We’ll be happy to help with any further info you need.

Michael