RBS and iFTS

Aug 5, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Hello, I have simple question. Is it possible to store BLOBs remotely using RBS and use integrated full-text search from Microsoft SQL Server 2008 on those BLOBs?

I will describe you current development scenario in our company. We develop document management system which was based on Oracle DB until recently. Now we decided to provide support also for MS SQL Server 2008. Relational data are stored in database and files in special file systems or WORM systems. One of major functionality is full-text search of stored files. We already implement this issue using FILESTREAM but we are not satisfied because files has to be stored in the same computer machine as database (so now we have two copies of every file - one in NTFS on database computer and second in WORMs as it was before). We cannot even delete useless files from FILESTREAM NTFS after indexation crawl because of data integrity between index information and file system.

My question is, if it is possible to execute full-text query over data stored using RBS as it was possible using FILESTREAM column or users depend on search capabilities of particular content-addressable storage.

Thanks for response.

- Robert

Editor
Aug 5, 2009 at 4:19 PM
Edited Mar 25, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Sorry Robert, at the time RBS does not support native iFTS. It's a feature we understand is very useful but did not have time to implement for this or our upcoming SQL Server 2008 R2 release.

- Michael

Aug 13, 2009 at 2:04 AM

Darn....that's exactly what I was wondering about and was hoping the answer was the opposite.

I wish there was a way I could go the FILESTREAM route and then after the document is indexed, remove it but keep it's indexed information.  I too don't want to be storing all these documents on the SQL Server.

Thank you,

Bill