Versus FileStream columns in SQL Server 2008

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:47 AM
Hello, there is just a quick question I cannot get the difference between RBS component and FileStream storage available in SQL Server 2008 because both provide the same result - the external blob storage. I quess that parhaps the advantage of RBS primary is that I'm able to store data not only on file system by developing my own providers. Is that correct?

-
Thanks, Leonid
Sep 10, 2008 at 4:40 PM
Hi Leonid,

Filestream is integrated into the SQL Engine so features such as backup / restore, replication, and others work seamlessly, however the storage is required to be locally attached to the server and NTFS. RBS is an API set that allows storage on external stores - physically seperate machines that may be running custom storage code, for instance EMC Centera. We do provide a sample File Storage provider but this isn't really the target for RBS, it's just to enable third parties to write their own stores and for developers to test and code against. RBS applications in general should hook up to CAS (content addressable stores) rather than the local file system.

Hope this helps, if you have further questions or need clarification please let me know.

- mike