Issues in Installing RBS

May 28, 2010 at 4:44 AM

Hi all,

1. I had installed and enabled RBS on the web application. The content Database of web application has all rbs tables and also i am able to see success message in log file. But when i am uploading a file in site of web application whose size is more than 300Kb.It is not getting stored in RBS.Kindly help.

2. When I tired to uninstall RBS. The tables are not getting deleted from the content database. The RBSFileStream filegroup is also not getting deleted from sysfiles of WSS_Content database. Please guide me how to completely uninstall RBS.

Thanks and Regards,

Tabassum 

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Hi Tabassum,

Does that mean that files smaller than 300kB are stored correctly while the larger ones are not? Are you using the FILESTREAM provider? If so, could you send the output the following commands on the server?

sp_configure 'filestream access level'

select * from mssqlrbs.rbs_blob_stores

RBS also has its own logging that may point you to the cause of the problem. Depending on your configuration, you may find the logs in text files in the application directory or in the Windows Event Log.

To answer your second question, RBS installer doesn't uninstall the server side components by default. If you are using the graphical interface, you should get asked whether you want to remove them. Otherwise, you can use the following stored procedures:

[mssqlrbs_filestream].[rbs_fs_sp_uninstall] <schema_suffix>, <force_uninstall> - removes the FILESTREAM blob store. Schema suffix identifies the store and can be found in mssqlrbs.rbs_blob_stores, force uninstall controls whether the uninstallation should continue even if there are files stored in the blob store.

[mssqlrbs].[rbs_sp_uninstall_rbs] <force_uninstall> - removes all RBS objects, force uninstall serves the same purpose as above.

The flegroup is not created by RBS setup, and has to be removed manually using the ALTER DATABASE command:

ALTER DATABASE <database name> REMOVE FILEGROUP <filegroup name>

Regards,

Maciej

Jun 23, 2010 at 6:45 AM

Thanks  Maciej  I am able to unistall RBS successfully, removing all tables from content database.

I am facing another issue. When I am installing RBS to other web application Content database.

I am able see "MSI (s) (7C:E0) [10:53:24:580]: Product: SQL Remote Blob Storage -- Configuration completed successfully." message.

But when I check the content database of my web application there are no RBS tables.

Kindly Help in this issue.

With Regards,

Tabassum  

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Hi

We have currently setup RBS with FILESTREAM for SP2010 for  a single content DB. This seems to work fine and the BLOB data separation to the BLOB store is happening.

But our reqt is to create individual blob stores for each of the multiple content DB's available.

However on running the setup steps as given by technet for a second db

Ref : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee748641.aspx

the tables are not getting created in the database and therefore blob separation is not happening. Please let me know if there are any other steps or other configuration settings that need to be checked .

Thanks&Regds

Lavanya.G.

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Lavanya,

Could you try re-running the install as mentioned in the technet article with the logging addition to the command? I've updated it below.

msiexec /l*xv rbs_install.log /qn /i rbs.msi REMOTEBLOBENABLE=1 FILESTREAMPROVIDERENABLE=1 DBNAME=<WSS_Content> FILESTREAMSTORENAME=FilestreamProvider_1 ADDLOCAL=EnableRBS,FilestreamRunScript DBINSTANCE=<DBInstanceName>>

Having a copy of the resulting rbs_install.log will enable us to debug further.

Thanks

Michael

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Hi

Please find the log file at

http://sqlrbs.codeplex.com/workitem/18234

Thanks

Lavanya.G.

Jul 16, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Thanks Lavanya.

The error is below:

Remote Blob Storage on the database has failed with error message:
A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Can you confirm the server you're trying to install on is MUVMP087 with the default instance name of MSSQLSERVER, and the content db is Sptest_Content_MySpace? If this is not the case, can you try updating the command line with the correct DBINSTANCE=servername\instancename? If this still fails, please let us know and we can debug further.

Thanks,

Michael

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Mike,

I do have the same issue as Lavanya and Tabassum

I am able see "MSI (s) (7C:E0) [10:53:24:580]: Product: SQL Remote Blob Storage -- Configuration completed successfully." message.

But when I check the content database of my web application there are no RBS tables.

the tables are not getting created in the database and therefore blob separation is not happening. Please let me know if there are any other steps or other configuration settings that need to be checked .

Let me know

Thank you

Neel

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Neel,

From the final log message, it appears that RBS was installed succefully, which should have created the RBS tables in the content database. However, I'd like to take a look at the setup logs to make sure there was no other error during the setup which may have been ignored. So if you have the setup logs, please attach those. Having the setup logs will help us debug further.

Thanks,

Vijendra.