Size Configuration in RBS

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:08 AM

Hi all

I had installed RBS to sharepoint2010 . I am able to store documents which are greater than 100KB in RBS directory. My question is that can I configure RBS so that I can store documents less than 100KB.

Another issue is in Sharepoint we can upload a file size maximum 2GB. Can I configure SharePoint so that upload size to greater than 2GB using RBS

If u have any pointers kindly respond

Thanks In Advance

Regards

Tabassum Mahanaz

Editor
Mar 25, 2010 at 4:45 PM
Edited Mar 25, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Tabassum,

Sharepoint does not allow blobs greater than 2GB using any mechanism including RBS. There’s no limitation on the RBS side however SharePoint does not support this.

As to your first question, if you’re using the RBS Filestream Provider there’s a few different configuration settings that allow specifying the storage thresholds. This question has come up a few times so I’m in the process of putting together a blog post with details on these options and how to set them. Unless there’s a specific reason to change these figures they should probably be left as is, we’ve done a lot of performance testing to make sure they’re optimized for the Filestream feature. You can see the current values of these configuration values (max_size_inline_blob, max_size_inband_write and max_size_inband_read) in the mssqlrbs.rbs_blob_stores view in your content database.

Michael

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:15 AM

Hi Micheal

Thanks for the inforamtion

In content database where RBS is configured I got my extended configuration

<config_item_list>

<config_item key="filegroup_name" value="RBSFilestreamProvider" />

<config_item key="data_filegroup_name" value="PRIMARY" />

<config_item key="max_pool_size" value="200000" />

<config_item key="max_size_inband_write" value="1258290" />

<config_item key="max_size_inline_blob" value="61140" />

<config_item key="write_allocation_size" value="0" />

</config_item_list>

and core configuration as:

<config_item_list>

<config_item key="schema_suffix" value="1" />

<config_item key="max_size_inband_read" value="1258290" />

<config_item key="tran_pool_size" value="5" />

<config_item key="tran_pool_tran_lifetime" value="time 00:01:00" />

</config_item_list>

"max_size_inline_blob, max_size_inband_write,max_size_inband_read"  what does these values specify and what will be the result if these values are altered

Regards

Tabassum

Editor
Mar 31, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Tabassum,

I've posted a blog entry with details on these configuration items. Let me know if you'd like further clarification on anything here.

http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlrbs/archive/2010/03/31/rbs-filestream-provider-small-blob-optimization-settings.aspx

- Michael

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM
Edited Apr 15, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Thank you Michael for the information.

Just for test i tried by changing 

<config_item key="max_size_inline_blob" value="61140" /> default value to

<config_item key="max_size_inline_blob" value="204800" /> (200kb) in extended configuration column of RBS internal blob storage table by using UPDATE statement.

I tried to insert a blob of 120kb which  got stored in RBS only.

Guide me, in which tables and at what columns  I have to make  changes to alter the default size of the RBS.

Thanks In Advance

Regards

Tabassum.

Editor
Apr 20, 2010 at 5:13 PM

The 120kb blob size with the max_size_inline_blob setting above means the blob will have been stored in the blob_data_inline column (type varbinary(max)) rather than the blob_data_filestream column (type varbinary(max) filestream) of the Filestream provider's internal table. It doesn't determine if the blob is stored in SharePoint's internal table or through RBS. RBS is an on-or-off option at a content database level.