Installing RBS for a second DB

Jan 28, 2009 at 8:55 AM
Can someone help me with the following, I'm trying to install the RBS.msi for a second DB on the same SQL2008 server.

It will not ask for a new DB to configure, I understand that every DB need there own RBS config, is that Right? or do mis I something.

Thanks,

JDI
Jan 28, 2009 at 4:06 PM
In the location on your computer where you installed the RBS binaries you will find a "server" directory.  I believe the script in that directory can be used to install the RBS configuration in a DB.

On my system: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Remote Blob Storage\Server\RemoteBlobEnable.sql

Also, I believe that the enable/disable RBS scripts are installed as packages (or something like that) to the original DB where you install.  (I don't have a system with it installed right now to verify though)

regards,
John
Editor
Jan 28, 2009 at 5:11 PM
John's right - just execute the RemoteBlobEnable.sql script either from SQL Server management studio or through osql.exe against the database you want to install to. Once this is done, you'll then need to run the stored proc mssqlrbs.rbs_sp_enable_rbs with an optional @filegroup parameter - this will create all the required metadata in the database.

Once this is done you can install providers in the usual manner. Let us know if you have further questions.

- mike
Feb 6, 2009 at 12:31 PM
John, Mike

Thanks, that works fine,.The RBS example is running on multiple databases.

Maybe this is wrong place to ask this question, but I have to start somewhere.

I try to get the RBS (SQL2008) to work with the SharePoint 2007 database, when I run the following SP:

SQL> execute mssqlrbs.rbs_sp_register_column dbo, AllDocStreams, Content

I receive the message: Column <Content> in Table <dbo.AllDocStreams> is not of the proper type (varbinary(64)).

The Content table is Image type.

Question:SharePoint 2007 SP1 is RBS aware, so what must we do to get the Content table connected to the RBS??

Any info will be welcome!!

Thanks,

James