SharePoint 2013 and extra data within BLOB files

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Having tweaked a couple of bits here and there we have an RBS provider installed and happily running under SP2013.

We are experiencing some strange behaviour though...

When uploading any file extra data is included in the resulting BLOB. So a simple text file containing "Here is some simple test data...." is 1244bytes when the BLOB is stored on disk.

The data appears to be in a similar format for each BLOB when compared. There is little point in me sharing it in this post due to formatting problems, but I can send it on if anyone's interested.

We have data shredding on (as per default) but have increased the chunk size to be greater than the size of the files we're testing with.

Does anyone have any clue where this extra data is coming from? I assume it's something added by MS, but what for? and can we do anything fun with it?

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Edited Apr 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Sorry for the late update on this...

After a lot of investigation on this issue and discussions with MS I found that it is indeed related to data shredding and it is cobalt data added by MS. I have found a high (ish) level blog post about the issues relating to RBS in combination with shredded storage and how the two can be used effectively together.

http://www.stealth-soft.com/About_Us/Sharepoint-2013---Data-Shredding-and-Remote-Blob-Storage--RBS-_1_76.html