BlobStore via WCF issue.

Sep 10, 2008 at 10:33 AM
Edited Sep 10, 2008 at 10:40 AM
Not sure whether this is the correct place to ask this question but here goes (if there is somewhere else that is more appropriate then please let me know) I have a WCF service that I want to be able to put a file in the remote blob store. So I've moved the RemoteBlobStore  code from a standalone program ,where it was functioning well, to the WCF service. However when the code reaches the line...$0SqlRemoteBlobContext blobContext = new SqlRemoteBlobContext(conn);
I get the following exception thrown

"exePath must be specified when not running inside a stand alone exe."

with the following stack trace

at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfigurationImpl(ConfigurationFileMap fileMap, Boolean isMachine, ConfigurationUserLevel userLevel, String exePath)\r\n   at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfiguration(ConfigurationUserLevel userLevel)\r\n   at Microsoft.Data.BlobStores.DebugPrint.InitializeProviders()\r\n   at Microsoft.Data.BlobStores.DebugPrint.Initialize(Boolean initializeProviders)\r\n   at Microsoft.Data.SqlRemoteBlobs.Global.Initialize()\r\n   at Microsoft.Data.SqlRemoteBlobs.SqlRemoteBlobContext..ctor(SqlConnection connection, BlobStoreCredentialsList credentialsList)\r\n   at Microsoft.Data.SqlRemoteBlobs.SqlRemoteBlobContext..ctor(SqlConnection connection)\r\n  .........

Which looks to me like theres some problem with the configuration manager access the config file from within the SQLRemoteBlobs DLL. So has anyone else experienced this issue and is there anything that I can do? or is this something that will need to be fixed in the next release? Any help wil be gratefully recieved
Cheers
Roland
Sep 10, 2008 at 11:40 AM
Sorry, what I forgot to add to this is that I'm running on VS2008Sp1 with .Net 3.5, not sure whether that has any bearing on things or not
Sep 11, 2008 at 1:21 PM
Further examination of the problem suggests that when the SqlRemoteBlobContect is created in a stand alone app, it is writting out a file <myApp>.config to the <myApp> exe directory, obviously for the hosted WCF service no exePath exists so it would appear that the issue is that the SqlRemoteBlob dll cannot read or write out the <myApp>.config. So unless there is some way of fooling the dll to use some other path I can't see a way round this.

Roland

Editor
Sep 11, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Roland,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. This is a known fixed bug in our internal builds, you hit the issue on the head with your last post. I've been trying to see if there's a way for us to provide you with privates but it's looking like this will have to go through official QFE channels.

Sorry about this, I'm still following up and will update soon with more information.

- mike

Sep 15, 2008 at 9:35 AM
Mike, its a shame that you can't get the fix out to me straight away but at least it's being sorted so thats good enough for me. I look forward to more news as soon as you have some more details, the good thing with it being a bug is that it means that I'm not loosing the plot

Roland
Editor
Sep 17, 2008 at 10:03 PM
Roland,

This will be released with our next official drop, which will probably not be for a few months at least. This is obviously not optimal, so I recommend you file a bug through http://connect.microsoft.com/ and put in a QFE request. It will be good for us if we have a customer bug through official channels to get this escalated and hopefully get you a fix.

- mike
Sep 18, 2008 at 8:11 AM
Mike,
I'll head over there and submit the bug now, especially if thats the best way to get the chance of a quick fix, waiting for a few months would be a bit of a pain.

Cheers

Roland
Sep 18, 2008 at 1:04 PM
I've now logged a bug  for this on the connect site, it can be found here

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=368380