Using RBS with ASP.NET applications that are not RBS-aware applications

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:03 AM

According to what I have studied about RBS so far, I've found that we can't just write an RBS provider that'll work with all ASP.NET applications as applications must be written to support RBS. While most of out clients are not ready to change their application code, we were thinking if we can build a solution that just requires a web.config level change and it starts working.

Initially, we were thinking of writing an ADO.NET custom provider that will intercept all calls to database on its way and parse the sql statements and also change it fetch rbsid as well. But that seems to hurt the performance a lot besides we can't do anything if command type is stored procedure.

So just wanted to check with you guys that is it safe to say that "Client applications must be written as RBS-aware applications to use RBS"?

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:21 AM

My experience is to say that "Client applications must be written as RBS-aware applications to use RBS". The problem we are trying to solve, is to move storage of large binary data from SQL Server to external storage solutions. So that the data can be managed by your external mass storage engines, ideally maintaining referential integrity. The existing applications, must have, developed to handle BLOB data in custom ways and supporting them with a web.config entry might not be practical. 

Once when we incorporate the necessary changes to support RBS now, a change in storage provider can be done transparently. 

Editor
Feb 4, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Mathew is correct. The application has to be RBS-aware.