Upgrade the SQL Server to Enterprise or developer Edition

May 21, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to install the rbs fileprovider (RBS.zip example) on a new installed Windows 2008 R2 and SQL 2008 R2 Standard server, running the installprovider.cmd I got this message

Same message on a SQL 2008 Enterprise Server? Any idea what goes wrong here?

Blob store type <File> cannot be use with this edition of SQL Server. Upgrade the server to Enterprise or Developer Edition.
Transaction count after EXECUTE indicates a mismatching number of BEGIN and COMM
IT statements. Previous count = 1, current count = 0.

All the service packs are installed

Some guidelines are welcome!

Thanks

John

Editor
May 21, 2010 at 4:45 PM

There's a restriction on the version of SQL Server that can be used with third party providers. The File provider is a sample provider so is covered under these restrictions.

Upgrading the type of SQL Server from Standard to Enterprise or Developer edition should allow the installation of these providers, otherwise you can use the Microsoft supported Filestream RBS provider.

Did you already try this install on an Enterprise server? If you still hit this check could you post the output of the following command?

select serverproperty(N'engineedition' )

Thanks

Michael

May 21, 2010 at 8:11 PM
So Mike, all 3th party RBS providers are only working with SQl 2008 enterprise edition? like StoragePoint, AvePoint and STEALTH software? I think they are the leaders in this area! Why is that? can Microsoft tell use why? Cheers
Editor
May 21, 2010 at 8:34 PM

RBS is considered an enterprise level feature and SQL Server licensing requirements reflect that.

Here is an extract from the SharePoint documentation. Licensing is also listed in the 'End User Licensing Agreement' document that is part of the downloaded RBS software.

If you plan to store BLOB data in an RBS store that is associated with a different database, you must be running SQL Server Enterprise Edition - this applies whether the provider is from Microsoft or from a third party.

All current 3rd party providers store their blobs outside of the local database and so must be running SQL Server Enterprise.

- Michael

May 22, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Hi Mike,

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff628583.aspx

"It can be run on the local server running Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2008 or SQL Server 2008 R2 Express. To run RBS on a remote server, you must be running SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise edition. RBS is designed to move the storage of BLOBs from database servers to commodity storage solutions."

This is fairly ambiguous - I first read it to mean that if SQL Server and Sharepoint were on the same server then it would be possible to implement an rbs provider on lower versions of SQL Server...

So you say this is not the case? and a provider cannot store data off the current server without having enterprise?

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Tom