RBS scalability 500 image/sec

May 16, 2010 at 12:56 PM

In my application I need to store 500 JPG images per second, each image is  100K size.

what is the best solution for me, storing it in varbinary(max), Filestream or RSB?

Thanks, Dubi.

May 18, 2010 at 1:11 AM

Dubi,

Sustained throughput of 500 blobs per second is achievable mainly via vb(max) or via small blobs Filestream using T-SQL (not through out of band / Win32 access, ie. using the external path). The Filestream option may be borderline for your performance requirements for the SQL Server 2008 R2 release. If this insert rate is combined with similar deletion rates (meaning that these blobs will need to be logically deleted on same rates or higher), Filestream can’t currently support these rates, only vb(max).

RBS with the Filestream provider may be a good way to go as you can tweak the configuration parameters (http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlrbs/archive/2010/03/31/rbs-filestream-provider-small-blob-optimization-settings.aspx) to auto select the appropriate storage mechanism. When doing performance tests make sure to run additional tests timing maintainer runs along with backup.

- mike