For JPEG/TIFF, RBS created orphan file on file system

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:00 AM

I have setup RBS Filestream and everything seems to be working. I uploaded a word document into a Document Library and the file show up on the file system (blobstore) with the correct size. However, when I uploaded a image to a Asset Library, two files show up on the file system and they both have the size of the image I uploaded. Should it be only one? Seems like this only happen to JPEG and TIFF. Any idea?

Editor
Apr 21, 2010 at 1:24 AM

Are you updating the image in some way (either explicitly or implicitly due to some setting in SharePoint) after it is uploaded to the SharePoint site? Blobs in RBS are immutable, and a new blob is created every time a document/image is changed. That is why you might have 2 files with image data. If there was a modification, this is expected and the old blob will get deleted after some time (30 days by default) after maintainer runs a few times.

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:59 AM

When you uploaded the Word document, did you use the actual Microsoft Word client?  If so, MS Word will use the FPRPC protocol to send the document into SharePoint.  When a document is uploaded via FPRPC, the binary and the metadata are sent in in one step.  When a file is uploaded through the browser client, there are two steps to the process.  The first step is the binary upload and the second step is is when you save the metadata which is effectively an "Update" to the document, resulting in the second file.

It doesn't matter what type of document it is, if you use the browser interface, there should always result in 2 documents in the BLOB store.  If you turn on versions in the document library, you should be able to see both versions (original without metadata, and the 2nd version with metadata).

Best Regards,

Russ

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:32 AM

I don't think it has anything to do with version. If I check in a BMP (instead of JPEG), one fille is added to the file system. If I check it out, make a change to the property, and publish it, NO file is added to the file system.

I think it has something to do with ParserEnabled, how SharePoint trying to promo properties. If I disable ParserEnabled, I am not seeing any Orphan file created on the file system.

Question is whether it is a bug or not?

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Is it possible, even though both are same size, one is the "viewing" image (to show in the library)? If your image is small, the downsampled one probably would be same size. In EBS, uploading to picture library creates three blobs (one is thumbnail), so perhaps something similar happens in RBS.