Mar 26, 2010 at 5:01 AM

Hi All,

First of all thanks for responding to all my queries. It helped me a lot

After installing RBS. I enabled Blob using the following code

$cdb = Get-SPContentDatabase –WebApplication http://sitename
$rbss = $cdb.RemoteBlobStorageSettings 
$rbss.Installed() 
$rbss.Enable() 
$rbss.SetActiveProviderName($rbss.GetProviderNames()[0]) 
$rbss 

It is applicable to entire web application. Now when I am trying to enabling blob to the site or for a particular Document Library

using the following code. It is applied to entire Web Application. Is there any way to limit the scope of the RBS to specific Document Library

$cdb = Get-SPContentDatabase –site http://tvmatp192061d:1010/sites/RBS 
| where {$._DocumentLibrary -eq RBS_Documents}
$rbss = $cdb.RemoteBlobStorageSettings 
$rbss.Installed() 
$rbss.Enable() 
$rbss.SetActiveProviderName($rbss.GetProviderNames()[0]) 
$rbss 

Thanks In Advance

Regards

Tabassum

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Hi Tabassum,

It is not possible to enable/disable RBS at the document library level.  The only unit of application is the Content Database.  In order to enable RBS for only a specific document library, you must create the library in its own new site collection that is in its own new content database.

The easiest way to create a site collection in a new database is with STSADM -o createsiteinnewdb.  There is a newer, probably more accepted, PowerShell technique that will do the same thing but I don't have that committed to memory yet! :)

Once you have your new site created and you are sure it is in its own database, you then enable RBS for the new content database you just created.  Then any new content you add to the site collection will be externalized to the BLOB store.  So then you would create your new document library.

From a taxonomy architecture perspective, I realize that this may not be ideal, but there are a few new tools in SP2010 you can use to make your life easier such as Content Type Syndication to help you with the content types in your separated document library.

Best Regards,

Russ